Search This Blog

Saturday, September 4, 2021

Nameko is in Your Miso Soup

 

What is Nameko?

Yup, it is a name for a type of edible mushroom in Japan from the kingdom of Fungi, well known by the name Pholiota Nameko. But, people call it, Nameko. Previously, I did not see the name of the mushroom. But, it is Nameko that we usually eat in the Miso Soup.

The first time I discovered about the Nameko, from the hiking activity with IUJ friends and Japanese communities to mount Botan in the Fall of 2019 (September 2019) when I was still in Japan.  One of our tour guides showed us Nameko mushroom growing on the dead trees or bed logs when we climbed down the hill.

These pictures show what Nameko looks like:



































 

It is surprised me that Nameko actually can be cultivated in the wild. After discovering Nameko, every time I cooked Miso Soup, I would not forget to add Nameko.

The description of Nameko

Here is the description of Nameko:

  • It is edible 
  • It grows in bed logs/dead deciduous trees/mossy tree trunk
  • It is the gelatinous coat
  • It is sticky, but I like it
  • It is available in the supermarket 

The price of Nameko in the local store at my time was about 400 yen.


No comments:

Post a Comment